Your burning bush and the spirit of fire.

christiancrown
Reading Matthew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Your burning bush and the spirit of fire. Reply with quote

Hello Brothers,

Your burning bush and the spirit of fire.

The Bible describes Jehovah God as “a consuming fire”
Hebrews 12:29 For our God is also a consuming fire.
so it is not surprising that fire often appears as a symbol of God’s presence.
Examples include the burning bush
Exodus 3:2 Then Jehovah’s angel appeared to him in a flame of fire in the midst of a thornbush. As he kept looking, why, here the thornbush was burning with the fire and yet the thornbush was not consumed.
The Shekinah glory
Exodus 14:19 Then the angel of the [true] God who was going ahead of the camp of Israel departed and went to their rear, and the pillar of cloud departed from their van and stood in the rear of them.
Numbers 9:15 Now on the day of setting up the tabernacle the cloud covered the tabernacle of the tent of the Testimony, but in the evening what appeared to be fire continued over the tabernacle until morning. 16 That is the way it went on constantly: The cloud would cover it by day, and the appearance of fire by night.
and Ezekiel’s vision
Ezekiel 1:4 And I began to see, and, look! there was a tempestuous wind coming from the north, a great cloud mass and quivering fire, and it had a brightness all around, and out of the midst of it there was something like the look of electrum, out of the midst of the fire.
Fire has many times been an instrument of God’s judgment !
Numbers 11:1 Now the people became as men having something evil to complain about in the ears of Jehovah. When Jehovah got to hear it, then his anger grew hot, and a fire of Jehovah began to blaze against them and to consume some in the extremity of the camp. 2 When the people began to cry out to Moses, then he made supplication to Jehovah, and the fire sank down. 3 And the name of that place got to be called Tab´e•rah, because a fire of Jehovah had blazed against them.

2 Kings 1:10 But E•li´jah answered and spoke to the chief of the fifty: “Well, if I am a man of God, let fire come down from the heavens and eat up you and your fifty.” And fire came descending from the heavens and went eating up him and his fifty.
and a sign of His power
Judges 13:20 So it came about that, as the flame ascended from off the altar heavenward, then Jehovah’s angel ascended in the flame of the altar while Ma•no´ah and his wife were looking on. At once they fell upon their faces to the earth.
1 Kings 18:38 At that the fire of Jehovah came falling and went eating up the burnt offering and the pieces of wood and the stones and the dust, and the water that was in the trench it licked up.

In the New Testament, the altar can serve as a picture of our commitment to the Lord. As believers in Jesus Christ, we are called upon to offer our bodies as “living sacrifices”
Romans 12:1 Consequently I entreat YOU by the compassions of God, brothers, to present YOUR bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with YOUR power of reason.

Engulfed by the divine gift: the inextinguishable fire of the Holy Spirit.
At the very beginning of the New Testament, the Holy Spirit is associated with fire.
John the Baptist predicts that Jesus will be the One to
“baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire”
Matthew 3:11 I, for my part, baptize YOU with water because of YOUR repentance; but the one coming after me is stronger than I am, whose sandals I am not fit to take off. That one will baptize YOU people with holy spirit and with fire.
When the Holy Spirit began His ministry of dwelling in the early church, He chose to appear as “tongues of fire” resting on each of the believers. At that moment, “all of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them”
Acts 2:3 And tongues as if of fire became visible to them and were distributed about, and one sat upon each one of them,
Fire is a wonderful picture of the work of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is like a fire in at least three ways: He brings God’s presence, God’s passion, and God’s purity.
The Holy Spirit is the presence of God as He dwells in the heart of the believer
Romans 8:9 However, YOU are in harmony, not with the flesh, but with the spirit, if God’s spirit truly dwells in YOU. But if anyone does not have Christ’s spirit, this one does not belong to him.
10 But if Christ is in union with YOU, the body indeed is dead on account of sin, but the spirit is life on account of righteousness.

In the Old Testament, God showed His presence to the Israelites by overspreading the tabernacle with fire
Numbers 9:15 Now on the day of setting up the tabernacle the cloud covered the tabernacle of the tent of the Testimony, but in the evening what appeared to be fire continued over the tabernacle until morning.
This fiery presence provided light and guidance
Numbers 9:16 That is the way it went on constantly: The cloud would cover it by day, and the appearance of fire by night. 17 And whenever the cloud would go up from over the tent, the sons of Israel would pull away right afterward, and in the place where the cloud would reside, there is where the sons of Israel would encamp.
In the New Testament, God guides and comforts His children with the Holy Spirit dwelling in our bodies—the “tabernacle” and the “temple of the living God”
2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, should be dissolved, we are to have a building from God, a house not made with hands, everlasting in the heavens.
2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols?
For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I shall reside among them and walk among [them], and I shall be their God, and they will be my people.”

The Holy Spirit creates the motivation, the passion of God in our hearts.
Luke 24:32 And they said to each other: “Were not our hearts burning as he was speaking to us on the road, as he was fully opening up the Scriptures to us?”

After the apostles receive the Spirit at Pentecost, they have a passion that lasts a lifetime and impels them to speak the word of God boldly
Acts 4:31 And when they had made supplication, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken; and they were one and all filled with the holy spirit and were speaking the word of God with boldness.

The Holy Spirit produces the purity of God in our lives. God’s purpose is to purify us
Titus 2:14 who gave himself for us that he might deliver us from every sort of lawlessness and cleanse for himself a people peculiarly his own, zealous for fine works.

and the Spirit is our sanctification
1 Corinthians 6:11 And yet that is what some of YOU were. But YOU have been washed clean, but YOU have been sanctified, but YOU have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.
2 Thessalonians 2:13 However, we are obligated to thank God always for YOU, brothers loved by Jehovah, because God selected YOU from [the] beginning for salvation by sanctifying YOU with spirit and by YOUR faith in the truth.
1 Peter 1:2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, with sanctification by the spirit, for the purpose of their being obedient and sprinkled with the blood of Jesus Christ:
May undeserved kindness and peace be increased to YOU.

As the silversmith uses fire to purge the dross from the precious metal, so God uses the Spirit to remove our sin from us
Psalm 66:10 For you have examined us, O God;
You have refined us as when refining silver.

Proverbs 17:3 The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold, but Jehovah is the examiner of hearts.

His fire cleanses and refines.
Brother George
We cannot be classed as a new movement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shelter Forum Index -> The Spiritual Gifts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: