Which way is it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shelter Forum Index -> Reasoning On Scriptures
sevenz
Reading Luke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Which way is it? Reply with quote

At Matthew 24 and verses 4-5 (according to the Revised 2013 New World Translation) it says this:

Quote:
In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you, for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, I am the Christ, and will mislead many.

It seems to be a popular opinion that Jesus was issuing a warning in this verse against being misled by people who would come claiming to be the Christ. (The Watchtower Society is among those who share such opinion.) What is your own personal opinion? Do you understand it in that same sense, that Jesus was speaking about false Christs?

Or do you understand it in a totally different sense? That is, do you think Jesus was issuing a warning against being misled by certain people who merely THINK they are Christians, but in truth they are not authentic Christians? Thus they would be people who are not actually the "real" thing due to the fact that they believe and teach seriously wrong concepts about God and the Bible, and all the while professing that Jesus is "the Christ".

Of course the Greek text did not have punctuation marks. And so without punctuation it reads this way:

Quote:
In answer Jesus said to them Look out that nobody misleads you for many will come on the basis of my name saying I am the Christ and will mislead many

Are such ones "saying" that they themselves are the Christ? Or are they "saying" that Jesus is the Christ? Which do you think? Is Jesus warning against being misled by false Christs? Or is he warning against being misled by people who present themselves as being followers of Christ - people who THINK they are real Christians but who actually do not qualify - and who therefore mislead any who listen to them?

What say you?

Freddie
Reading Matthew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: This way to me! Reply with quote

Hi sevenz, good topic

In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you, for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many

not

In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you, for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘they are The Christ,’ and will mislead many

There are many out there preaching Christ, but not many following Him.
Many are trying to get rich, following organizations and men. Too my thinking if one reads the Bible and ask for guidance; wisdom and understanding they should be able to get their eyes opened. We all see things from where we stand, sometimes we need to put our selves in a different light.

When YOU pray you have to take time to listen for an answer. I once prayed on something troubling me for three years, then the answer came.
I was very over come and it made my faith much stronger.
sevenz
Reading Luke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding, Freddie. I have been terribly busy since I started this thread. I haven't forgotten about it and will be back as soon I can find the time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shelter Forum Index -> Reasoning On Scriptures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: